Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Creative Process: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Prompt.

I’ve never really got a hang of what makes a good writer, or even what makes me a good writer. Some stories I write are hits, and more than often, they are misses. But I couldn’t really tell you what makes those hits hit. Trust me if I could, I’d be doing a lot more with my writing than I am now (which is leaving them to the obscurity of a “MySpace Friend’s Only” blog).
So, to start off this little effort on writing prompts, I have utilized Google to find “creative writing prompts” and low and behold I found CreativeWritingPrompts.com which has a plethora of prompts to go off of. So, I’m am using prompt #136 “Write a pure dialogue story. Make your story move along using dialogues only. No narration, no description, just dialogue.” Here I go…

“Hey, hold the door. Please.”
“Which floor are you heading to?”
“32nd.”
“Okay.”

“Thanks, man, for holding the elevator.”
“Just doing my job. Are you a lawyer?”
“No, but I’m visiting one.”
“I see. I don’t mean to be rude, but I have a friend who has law offices up on the 32nd.”
“No worries, I’m actually a botanist.”
“That’s a growing profession.”
“Yeah, I think so.”

“Well, here you are.”
“It was nice to meet you.”

“What’s wrong?”
“I don’t know. The door doesn’t want to open.”
“Here these old buildings. You never know when they’re going to stick.”

“I’m not too sure hitting the button over and over again is working.”
“Let me phone maintenance and get some guys to pry us open.”
“Look is that going to take long, I have an appointment at 12:30.”
“Well, you’re already late than aren’t you?”
“What? Cripes, my watch stopped.”
“Do you have the time on you?

What was that?”
“The elevator shifted.”
“Do elevators do that?”
“Not normally.

The phone isn’t working.”
“Great, that is just great.”
“Listen buddy, kicking the elevator isn’t going to make it open.”
“You do not understand what kind of day I’ve been having. My boss is on my ass, because this company wants to patent our seeds. I’ve been babysitting tulips for the past three weeks. I don’t need attitude from some lift operator.”
“Yeah, and sitting in a lift going up and down all day is what I dreamed of as a kid. Don’t give me your life- What the hell did you do that for?

“You’re out of your mind.”

“Stop that! Stop that!”

“Finally, the elevator opens.”

“Oh my God, is he dead?”
“What did you do to him?”
“Someone call the police.”
“I’m a lawyer!”


Well, that was my attempt. Next segment. I'll try to add a third person, or some narration. Maybe. I'll see where things go. I enjoy being ambiguous about writing.
Toodles.

1 comments:

Matt Izaguirre said...

Bonus points for Kubrick reference.

Temporary Home

This blogsite is our temporary home while our website undergoes an extreme makeover of epic proportions (shifted septums, pacemakers, calf implants, dialysis, a fancy wig, contacts -- the works).

This was our old home, and while it is a bit dated, it's a good source of info regarding recent issues and the history of Prism Review.

Updates will follow regarding our new home. ETA summer 2009.